So, other than traveling to my hometown I haven’t taken any trips in the past two years. That being said I have gone “home” about a bajillion times. Through these exploits I’ve learned a lot about traveling and things you should and SHOULD NOT do, especially with two children.
Lemme Break it down for y’all:
- Keep your guest bath stocked with travel sizes so you are prepared for either house guests or your departure (whichever comes first)
- Make a list of EVERYTHING you will need and break it down (yourself, kids, things you need to do before you go)
- Pack everything you can the day before. For obvious reasons don’t pack your toiletries yet.
- Get those plastic spoons for kids and take your host (unless you’re staying in a hotel) paper plates so that they don’t have to feel the burden of your dishes.
- Pack some non-perishables
- If you are traveling with a baby this is like a special exception:
- See if someone will either loan you a highchair or a feeding setup or something
- Pack Diapers / Wipes don’t rely on buying them once you get there especially if it’s over the holidays because more than likely places won’t be open
- Make sure you make special provisions for baby to eat and sleep comfortably, traveling is so hard on them and they get out of their routine which makes them cranky and miserable
- XTRA CLOTHES XTRA BLANKETS!
- Take a playpen
- Make sure your kids have “special things” so that they can feel comfortable. Whether it’s a blanket or a toy
- Eat well – traveling can confuse your system
- Remember to pack your vitamins
- And last but not least make sure that your toiletries are separate from your other things, if god forbid something explodes, leaks, decides it’s going to shit all over your expedition you can probably wash it all of
- Don’t assume people will have what you need as far as Towels, Blankets, Pillows
- Let the people you care to see (if you are visiting a place with friends) know in advance so that they can make the arrangements to see you
- Don’t go to someone’s house and LIVE there, you are always a guest and they are letting you stay so be respectful
- Don’t pack everything a week in advance only to realize that you need something and :gasp: don’t know which bag it’s in.
- Don’t tell your kids you’re going anywhere until the day before or the day of because they will bug you … for real
- Don’t cheap out on luggage! It’s a good thing to have! Never know